Greenbank Lawyers

You Could Get Compensation Worth £1,000s

Quick and Easy to Check

No-Win, No-Fee

Thousands Affected

Who are you renting from?

Who Is Talking About Housing Disrepair Claims?

Housing disrepair claims are everywhere in the news at the minute as thousands are receiving payouts for disrepair.

Itv, Greenbank Lawyers
GuardianLogo Mfzdja1A, Greenbank Lawyers
Mirror, Greenbank Lawyers

No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Compensation Claims

Fed up of housing disrepair? Our team of experts will be able to support you in making a no win no fee housing disrepair compensation claim to help get your home returned to a habitable condition. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have suffered as a result of the housing issues you have endured.

Trustpilot Two Line Dark 1024x178 1, Greenbank Lawyers
Housing Disrepair Man, Greenbank Lawyers

Housing Disrepair Compensation Calculator

Just fill in RENT PCM and MONTHS OF NOTICE PERIOD below and we will calculate the amount of compensation for you.

Housing Disrepair Compensation Process

Greenbank Lawyers offers legal representation on a no win, no fee basis for people filing housing disrepair claims. We understand that seeking damage compensation through a legal channel can be a lengthy and expensive process for individuals, but with our highly-trained team of solicitors, we’re dedicated to obtaining the best possible result for you.

Gathering Evidence

You will need to document the disrepair issues you are facing with photographs or videos where necessary. You should also keep records of any communication with the landlord and any attempts to get them to carry out repairs.

Reporting The Issue

As the tenant, you should inform the landlord of the disrepair issues you are facing in writing, as soon as you notice that they are ouccring. You must then give you landlord a reasonable amount of time (usually around 14 days) to carry out repairs.

Contacting Us

If the landlord fails to carry out repairs or responds unsatisfactorily, you, the tenant can then seek legal advice from us. Our team of solicitors will assess the case and advise on whether there are grounds for a claim.

Why Choose Us



Our firm is dedicated to giving back to our local community. We believe in the importance of using our legal expertise to help those in need.


High Ethical Standards

Our firm is committed to upholding the highest ethical standards in our legal practice, ensuring that our clients receive not just skilled legal representation, but also integrity and professionalism.



Our team of experienced solicitors has a diverse range of expertise, allowing us to provide comprehensive legal services across a wide range of industries and practice areas.


Streamlined Process

We understand that legal issues can be stressful and overwhelming, which is why we strive to make the legal process as seamless and stress-free as possible for our clients.

What is Housing Disrepair?

Our mission is to enable our clients to access justice without fear of financial burden.

In the UK, landlords are responsible for ensuring that any rented social housing property they own is safe and habitable. Housing Disrepair can come in many forms such as damp, leaks, mould, inadequate heating, pest infestation and structural defects. These issues can pose serious health and safety risks to tenants so if any of these problems exist in a rental property, it’s important that the landlord is aware and works quickly to rectify them.

Tenants may be entitled to a form of compensation if they experience housing disrepair. Water leaks, electrical damage, and mould can all lead to furniture and clothing becoming degraded or destroyed. Tenants should carefully document the damages that have been caused so that they can make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue legal action for compensation.

Tenants should document any and all communication with their landlord pertaining to any housing-related issues. That way, they can have a clear record in the event they have to seek compensation for damages caused by poorly maintained properties. Having evidence of conversations with the landlord will make it easier to prove your case.

How much can you claim?

Do I have a claim?

How long will the claim take?

How much will I get?

All of your questions answered!

Call Me Back 1, Greenbank Lawyers

Signs of Housing Disrepair

Housing disrepair means a rented property that requires repair for it to be safe and suitable for tenants to live in. If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, your landlord is required by law to ensure that the house you live in is in a good state of repair structurally.


Faulty Heating

A cold home cannot be economically maintained between the temperatures 18°C to 21°C. This puts tenants at risk of flu and pneumonia; heart attacks or strokes, hypothermia, and in some cases can be fatal.


Structural Damage

A poorly maintained property can lead to explosions, entrapment, and structural collapse. There is a serious risk of physical injury if such an event were to take place.


Electrical Hazards

Faulty wiring and old sockets are high risk and can cause electric shocks and, in some cases, be fatal. Installation of electrics should be safe and in a good state of repair.



If not tackled, damp and mould can cause respiratory problems and infections as well as affect the immune system of vulnerable people, particularly young children.


Doors/Windows Damaged

Broken doors or windows that have not been fixed pose a serious security risk within your property. Your landlord’s responsibility is to have these repaired as soon as he becomes aware of the issue.


Leak/Water Damage

Leaks can lead to bigger problems in the home and can cause significant damage if untreated.

We offer a 100% No Win No Fee agreement. You only pay if/when you win your case & receive your compensation.

Our team is highly praised and sought after for achieving results in a short period of time compared to other firms of this type.

We swiftly arrange for your repairs to be fixed in a timely manner, making your home safe to live in again.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the costs of pursuing a claim?

We work on a No Win, No Fee basis. If we don’t win your case, you won’t pay a penny. If we win your case, the fee will be a percentage of your compensation, which changes depending upon the type of claim you are pursuing. This can be discussed during your initial consultation

Can I claim for personal injury?

The Short answer is yes, you can. Many different types of injury can be caused by housing disrepair, however below is a list of the most common personal injury claims that we come across:

  • Developing or worsening of Respiratory diseases caused by mould or damp.
  • Physical injuries caused by the disrepair (for example, an injury caused by a falling tile, door or, even the ceiling).
  • Asbestos-related illnesses (this can be a problem in older houses).
  • Injuries sustained by faulty electrics
  • Developing or worsening skin. conditions due to the damp, mould, or infestation. This can be a rash or worsening of Eczema or Psoriasis.
How will my claim be handled?

Your landlord will receive a Letter of Claim stating that we would like to see copies of all relevant documents and arrange an inspection by our expert Surveyor on your behalf. The letter outlines all the issues you are experiencing with the property.

What are the requirement for a successful claim?

To successfully bring a claim, you need to prove that:

  • Your home suffers from actionable defects; and
  • Your landlord has knowledge of the actionable defects; and
  • Your landlord has failed to remedy them within a reasonable period of time.
How long can my landlord avoid carrying out repairs?

Legally, a ‘reasonable time’ must be allowed. In general, ‘urgent’ disrepair refers to no heat or water, which would require immediate attention.

Are there any time limits I should be aware of?

To make a claim for Housing Disrepair, you have 6 years from the date the disrepair was first reported to your landlord. A personal injury claim has a shorter 3-year deadline for filing court proceedings. For children under 18, the 3 year limit does not start until the child turns 18 i.e. until their 21st birthday.

Will I be charged for this service?

All of our Housing Disrepair claims are handled on a No Win, No Fee basis. We won’t charge you anything unless we win your case. From the amount you receive as a result of our victory, a fee of up to 25% will be deducted.

Still have questions?

Our Promise To You

At Greenbank Lawyers, we promise to keep you informed at every stage of the process and provide the best legal and practical advice in Plain English, with no legal jargon.

Greenbank Lawyers was set up with one aim, which is to provide a legal service of the highest quality at a competitive rate to clients worldwide. Openness and trust form the basis of our relationship with our clients, and we enjoy a reputation for being approachable, friendly, and discrimination-free.

No Win, No Fee

If we don’t win, we’ll cover the costs ourselves. You won’t pay a penny.

High Quality Service

Our team is fast and efficient, which guarantees you get compensation faster.

Expert Advice

Expert advice from real people. No bots or automated chats. 

Call Back Request
close slider

For a Quick FREE no obligation chat to determine if you have a claim for housing disrepair and how we can help you get the compensation that you are entitled then pop you name and number below.

Best time to call you