Greenbank Lawyers

You Could Get Compensation Worth £1,000s

Quick and Easy to Check

No-Win, No-Fee

Thousands Affected

Who are you renting from?

Who Is Talking About Housing Disrepair Claims?

Housing disrepair claims are everywhere in the news at the minute as thousands are receiving payouts for disrepair.

Itv, Greenbank Lawyers
GuardianLogo Mfzdja1A, Greenbank Lawyers
Mirror, Greenbank Lawyers
In an ideal world, every rented property would be a safe and comfortable haven for its occupants. Unfortunately, reality doesn’t always align with our expectations, and tenants often find themselves dealing with housing disrepair issues that impact their quality of life. While private landlords are usually the first to come to mind in these scenarios, tenants of council or housing association properties aren’t exempt from encountering such problems. However, the process of addressing housing disrepair when dealing with councils or housing associations can be different. In this guide, we’ll explore how to navigate housing disrepair claims against councils and housing associations, empowering tenants to assert their rights effectively.

Understanding Your Rights

Whether you’re renting from a council or a housing association, as a tenant, you have certain rights protected by law. This includes the right to live in a property that is safe, secure, and free from hazards that could affect your health. This means that your landlord, whether it’s the council or a housing association, has a legal obligation to ensure that the property is maintained in a state of repair.

Identifying Housing Disrepair

Before you can make a claim, it’s essential to identify and document any housing disrepair issues in your rented property. Common examples include damp and mold, structural problems like cracks or leaks, heating and plumbing issues, electrical faults, pest infestations, and security concerns. Take photographs and keep records of any communications with your landlord regarding these issues, including repair requests.

Reporting the Disrepair

Once you’ve identified the problems, the next step is to report them and this typically involves contacting your local housing department or filling out an online form through the council’s website. Housing association tenants may need to report issues directly to their housing association, following the procedures outlined in their tenancy agreement. Make sure to provide detailed descriptions of the problems and keep copies of any correspondence for your records.

Seeking Remedies

After reporting the disrepair, your landlord is legally obligated to address the issues within a reasonable timeframe. However, if they fail to do so, you may need to take further action. This could involve escalating your complaint to higher authorities within the council or housing association, such as a housing ombudsman or complaints department. In some cases, tenants may also have the option to withhold rent or pursue legal action against their landlord for breach of contract.

Getting Legal Assistance with Greenbank Lawyers

When it comes to pursuing compensation for housing disrepair claims, having experienced legal assistance can make all the difference. Greenbank Lawyers specialises in housing disrepair compensation claims and has a proven track record of success in securing compensation for their clients. With their expertise and experience in navigating complex legal processes, Greenbank Lawyers can provide you with the guidance and support you need to pursue your claim effectively.

By working with Greenbank Lawyers, you can benefit from their in-depth knowledge of housing disrepair laws and regulations, as well as their strong negotiation skills when dealing with councils and housing associations. They will work tirelessly on your behalf to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for the inconvenience, discomfort, and potential health risks caused by housing disrepair.

We work on a No Win, No Fee basis. If we don’t win your case, you won’t pay a penny. If we win your case, the fee will be a percentage of your compensation, which changes depending upon the type of claim you are pursuing. This can be discussed during your initial consultation, call us on 01254 924 811 or use the contact form here.

Housing Disrepair Compensation Calculator

Greenbank Lawyers is committed to maintaining the privacy of your data. This information will only be used for the purpose of processing your query, and Greenbank Lawyers will not use it for any other purpose.

3 questions below will determine if you have a possible case for compensation and a guide amount on what your claim could be worth to you.